Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Saladin,

Well I do believe we both maybe a little bias. Please understand that I feel you have nice birds, plus, respect and value your opinion; and never once said they were not Shamo!

I provided information as to why, I thought, some of the original Shamo birds imported might have looked different and what has happen to the old US Shamo lines. Again, with out photos of the original imports its hard say, they may look like Thais, Ganoi, etc. But as I mentioned, based on what I was told by those closer to Japanese culture and gamefowl, those were the Shamo most accessible at the time. The other more vertical like the Chu and O Shamo have always been in Japan, it their erect royal station, as supported by old Japanese drawings, paintings and sketches. But initially, as I have been told and read, they where not allowed to leave the country.

Do I think one is better than the other? No, I respect them all for they all have value. I prefer the Shamo that are distinct, in my mind, to Japan and look less like their predecessor the Siam/ Thai fowl. I maybe wrong but are you saying the high stationed birds like Mrs. Keelings, Terramoto’s or Kawasaki’s have no ability???

Some good examples of exceptional high stationed fowl and capable fowl, beside Mrs Keelings, Mrs. Chungs. Terramoto's or Kawasaki's Chu and O Shamo are Mr. Saab's brazilians. They seem, in my eyes, as know one knows for sure, to carry a lot of Shamo or Thai blood with the Spanish common to Brazilians. It also seems he has carefully selected for high vertical stationed too. His fowl appear to carry a high station and are more agile than most Asils. From accounts told to me by friends, it seems these attributes were some of the reasons why they were superior in their day. Matter of fact, to me they look like smaller version of Shamo.

I believe the patient meticulous Japanese breeders knew exactly what they were doing, for their specific venues. I also believe, and evidence shows, those breeders created a big strong upright styled fowl for their venue.

Just my two cents….

A big 3 yr old Shamo breed in Brazil, 7x blue ribbon winner, from Japanese imports. Purchase by my Asil friend Peter. Please notice his very high station.

Quote: So, if it takes you a life time to learn the basics of a skill, trait or job I would say you’re not learning quick enough. Sorry for being blunt!

Like I said, deaf ears...

I didn't say that they had no ability. I will say that if you ask the Europeans about them then you'll hear something totally different than what you have heard: especially those Europeans that visit the North of France.

I will say again though: they are nothing more or less than Thais which have been bred to a slightly different standard; regardless whether they are Manuel Reynolds line (which is all but extinct) or the newly introduced Keeling line.

By the way, I think the world of S. Chung. We were able to meet for the first time two years ago in October when she came to the Indianapolis Show.

Last edited:
pistols at 20 paces ,
stop the violence!!!!
yuckyuck.gif

use paintball pistols instead....

Last edited:
Or if you think the difference between a Malay and a Shamo is just the comb..

There are alot of folks out there that don't care about the particular breed they are working with. They just want to show the Biggest Chicken in the Show. What a joke!!!

I agree with you 100% Saladin, many do not care about the breed.

If I recall, a very early conversation with Mrs Chung, one of the reasons she chose to imported her line of Shamo was because she did not like the many hybrid Shamo she saw in the states.

Honestly, I am not sure when the audience outside of Ca was introduced to the world of Mrs. Chungs Shamo. But the West Coast, and its different venue breeders, have know about her line of birds for well over a decade.

So, Saladin. Do the Shamo which were bred from Thai, still have the different dance moves? Total newbie here, so please excuse me.
And as for the bird posted, I'm not "one of you three" but, I like him a lot. I'm, torn between breeding for the longer legged and med. necked birds or the stockier ones.

Last edited:
All shamo were bred from " Thai" . The ancestors of the breed came to Japan from Thailand , and were bred to different ends purposes or tastes once there. Just so you are clear, there isn't some line that was not bred from Thai and some that were.

Although of course some may have had thai added in recently, but I'm not talking about that, strictly the ancestry from hundreds years ago.

To be honest, if you want to go back far enough, all Oriental breeds are all originally Asil, or Malay, depending on your school of thought. When you try to apply modern day fowl to their ancestors, I don't feel it applies anymore in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom