Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Ok folks, excepting that last post where 'exotic' bamboo is being spoken of: WE DO NOT HAVE OR GROW BAMBOO IN THE SOUTH. We have CANE BRAKES. Where are you people from anyway???

Didn't y'all ever watch 'Daniel Boone' growing up? Don't you remember the song? 'ramble in the cane brake and shoot the buffalo....' What do y'all think they were talking about????

What do folks fish with in a pond? A bamboo pole? Crazy! It's a CANE POLE!

LOL. Y'all just kill me.
i watched davey crockett.... 8o's kid...
see y'all old time breeders that have been doin this dance for a while speak in toungs that us young buck sometimes dont understand.... like i told my medic... dumb it down fer me doc!
lol now wheres some eye candy?

Last edited:
And Malays are just asils selected in one direction.

The asil is the original oriental that let to malays, cornish, thai - shamoids ( brazilian, etc...)

To be honest, if you want to go back far enough, all Oriental breeds are all originally Asil, or Malay, depending on your school of thought. When you try to apply modern day fowl to their ancestors, I don't feel it applies anymore in my opinion.

They were not classed as such. Those words are all english translations of Thai, Hmong and Vietnamese terms.

Different cultures; we in the West tend to lump all of Southeast Asia together (along with Paki/India as well). There are cultural difference that extended to chickens as well.

Remember: in the day, Shamos were slow.

Not at all like Asil.
Alright, I always thought Asil were supposed to be fast. Just someone once said that they just kinda bulldoze, straight forward hitting the front and they don't exhibit anything else. I thought Thai were awesome to be able to learn all those different styles, as some have said. And was simply wondering if the Shamo had the same abilities.
Thanks,

You took my comment way to seriously. LOL. As a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner (my folks have been in Tenn. since before it was a State and in the South for nearly 400 years), I'm just trying to acquaint younger folk with southern english. And humor... since in my opinion the world is round way to tight these days.

Say your in Tennessee me too, (close to Cookeville) My hero's Andy Jackson ( the 1st Democrat ) Nathan Bedford Forest (Fought for the Cause).
I heard Jackson won The Hermitage on a cock fight and Forest could sleep in the saddle, in those men were men. BKPuckett

I'm originally from Mt Juliet.... back when it was all farms and country. My ancestors came from East Tenn to Nashville in 1785 by flatboat. Then moved east to Wilson County around 1803.

I left 21 years ago.

My folks still live there. My brother and his wife own a vet clinic in McMinnville.

Honestly, I have close kin all over the state.

Ok folks, excepting that last post where 'exotic' bamboo is being spoken of: WE DO NOT HAVE OR GROW BAMBOO IN THE SOUTH. We have CANE BRAKES. Where are you people from anyway???

Didn't y'all ever watch 'Daniel Boone' growing up? Don't you remember the song? 'ramble in the cane brake and shoot the buffalo....' What do y'all think they were talking about????

What do folks fish with in a pond? A bamboo pole? Crazy! It's a CANE POLE!

LOL. Y'all just kill me.

Sorry Saladin But I have 2 types of true bamboo growing in my yard. Phyllostachys Bambusoides and Phyllostaachys Aureosulcata. The other 2 types are cane. Arundo Donax and Arundo Donax Variegata. I also have 8 types of banana trees and 6 types of palm trees growing in my yard. In Tennessee.
Mark

I think I made a mistake, and I need some advice. I have a mixed flock of some regular hatchery birds and some South American landraces (Quechua Olmec and Huastec). I bough a 6 month old Shamo hen at a show, because the seller told me that she "would be fine" with my birds. I had her in a separate but touching pen for the first day, then released them together. She is being picked on, and is clearly lowest on the pecking order right now. However, she is obviously physically capable of killing my birds. I am afraid that one day, when she is more comfortable, she would snap and her aggression would come out. My questions are these... if the flock maintains the peace for a week or two, is that enough to establish that she will work out fine with them, or will she always be a threat? Also, if I introduce chicks to the flock (I do this frequently and my current flock deals with it fine) will she be overly aggressive to the chicks? I realize I made a rash decision, there's no need to tell me this is why amateurs shouldn't have Shamo! I get it already!

Back
Top Bottom