Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I think you got it backwards BK. When it comes to gamefowl, what you find are most people that sell eggs are nothing but peddlers, in it for the money, not the quality of the stock. People that spend a lot of time getting quality broodstock, and take the time to breed them properly don't let birds go off their yard easily. You also get the yahoo's that are looking to get quality stock dirt cheap by buying eggs, then next year you see the same person peddling your fowl trying to make money off your name. I would rather see someone who will treat the fowl with the respect they deserve, and honor the time I have into developing, or maintaining the line than let any go at all. Anyone that is serious with fowl knows there is no money to be made selling fowl, unless you want to lower your standards to peddle your butt off. As a buyer, you get the benefit of getting birds that have already been through the culling process up to that point, and should be good healthy fowl when you buy mature birds. Will you get the best? No. No breeder sells their best fowl. A good breeder will sell you fowl he would be willing to keep himself, and that's the best you can expect. After that, it's up to you what you do with them. If you want to get quality stock, I tell everyone to be patient, get to know reputable breeders, listen to them, earn their respect. You will find many good breeders will practically give fowl away to people they trust will do them right, than sell feather one off their yard. Lord knows I've been burnt enough times that I don't sell much anymore either, and I sure don't sell pure breedable pairs because of this. I've also given away more birds to trusted friends than I've ever sold.

I personally feel that a breeder being worried about selling off one's best birds when selling hatching eggs is not the primary concern. Hatching eggs are inherently a crapshoot, many times they won't hatch and then you're stuck wondering whether you should send more eggs refund the money or what. The person doing the hatching is just as likely if not more likely to get culls as they are to get great birds. Then they post pictures of the culls all over BYC and start selling eggs next year on eBay using your name. This is how reputations get ruined and a lot of people would prefer to keep their reputations intact. When you buy started birds from a knowledgeable breeders they have done the culling for you. That service alone is worth a fair price.

"thay have done the culling for you " What do you do with the culls?

What to do with the culls is up to the breeders discretion. As for me, serious issues get killed young, like crooked beaks or toes. Less serious issues but still birds I don't want my name attached to-- Pullets or hens I can usually give to friends and neighbors as layers, strictly given as mixed breeds regardless of what they really are. Cockerels we kill and eat, or, they go to the livestock auction as mutts to be sold anonymously, depends if we need the meat. Sometimes freezer is full. Decent birds that I don't care to keep as breeders get sold or given away locally, but sometimes you don't get many worth leaving your farm. I gave away a few birds that were ok last year, the rest( the CRAP) we either killed and ate, gave to my neighbors, or sold at auction.

I think you got it backwards BK. When it comes to gamefowl, what you find are most people that sell eggs are nothing but peddlers, in it for the money, not the quality of the stock. People that spend a lot of time getting quality broodstock, and take the time to breed them properly don't let birds go off their yard easily. You also get the yahoo's that are looking to get quality stock dirt cheap by buying eggs, then next year you see the same person peddling your fowl trying to make money off your name. I would rather see someone who will treat the fowl with the respect they deserve, and honor the time I have into developing, or maintaining the line than let any go at all. Anyone that is serious with fowl knows there is no money to be made selling fowl, unless you want to lower your standards to peddle your butt off. As a buyer, you get the benefit of getting birds that have already been through the culling process up to that point, and should be good healthy fowl when you buy mature birds. Will you get the best? No. No breeder sells their best fowl. A good breeder will sell you fowl he would be willing to keep himself, and that's the best you can expect. After that, it's up to you what you do with them. If you want to get quality stock, I tell everyone to be patient, get to know reputable breeders, listen to them, earn their respect. You will find many good breeders will practically give fowl away to people they trust will do them right, than sell feather one off their yard. Lord knows I've been burnt enough times that I don't sell much anymore either, and I sure don't sell pure breedable pairs because of this. I've also given away more birds to trusted friends than I've ever sold.
I do sell a few dozen hatching eggs a year to try to make up for the feed costs but I mostly sell Juvenile fowl 10-12 weeks old and older or I grow them out and keep what I will breed with and then either sell the rest at an auction or they go in the freezer. Most of the time they go in the freezer.

On the side note do any of you have any O Shamo they you want to sell? I am looking for a pair or a trio. Message me if you do. Thanks

Nate

Well said.
clap.gif

As far as the culls, we either eat them or turn them into dog/cat food. Nothing leaves my farm that I wouldn't use to breed myself.

Crock toes etc. (deformity's) they happen occasionally Most people will under stand that.
When I say Cull I mean a bird you are ashamed of .Unless you are working on some thing new there shouldn't be many of those, if there is then I agree you shouldn't sell any thing because even if it doesn't show in a bird it is in the blood.
My line is 30yr. old it was perfected a long time ago the chances I will hatch some thing I am ashamed of is unlikely. In the breeding pen I just play with color. If I don't raise a bird this year I will have plenty for next year. I like my adult birds, gathering eggs and baby chicks. I don't like caring for juvenile birds. So I sell eggs and chicks to support my habit.

This is a good discussion. Please join in

To quote Paul Harvey Lets shuck it down to the cob.
A Breeder that will sell eggs and/ or chicks Probably

A. Doesn't show...... so doesn't worry about getting beat by his own bird.
B. His line is already perfected ...so he doesn't worry about selling a bird he is ashamed of.
C. He's not wealthy ...so he needs money to buy feed.;
D. He might be in the business of breeding and selling good birds.

A Breeder that wont sell eggs and/or chicks is Probably

the opposite on all accounts.

Back
Top Bottom