Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I don't see any advantage for using several roosters into one hen and changing the rooster daily. First it requies more work for changing the rooster. Also, it takes a while for the hen to get used to a rooster, so we are wasting time here. Last of all, we will lose the tracking of the bloodline, the parents if we cannot pinpoint who the father is.

Breeding a pair together is actually the best way for tracking. We also have a choice of using 1 rooster for several hens .. still trackable

If you rotate cocks you do not do it as you mentioned. Instead you do something like: 1 cock for 10-14 days then switch. Each cock gets the 10-14 period. Once switched the first 3 to 4 eggs will be from the old cock. After that they should mostly be from the new cock (though some may still be from the old one).

When breeding many of us put a cock in with the hen for 3 to 4 days and then take him out for the rest of the week. Then we place him back in again etc. etc. This keeps the cock active and productive.

I don't see any advantage for using several roosters into one hen and changing the rooster daily. First it requies more work for changing the rooster. Also, it takes a while for the hen to get used to a rooster, so we are wasting time here. Last of all, we will lose the tracking of the bloodline, the parents if we cannot pinpoint who the father is.

Breeding a pair together is actually the best way for tracking. We also have a choice of using 1 rooster for several hens .. still trackable

I see your point. Thnx

Many do single mate and it is the best way to keep up with what pair throws what.
As to bloodline: many breeders (myself included) follow the hen not the cock (matriarchal lines).

If you rotate cocks you do not do it as you mentioned. Instead you do something like: 1 cock for 10-14 days then switch. Each cock gets the 10-14 period. Once switched the first 3 to 4 eggs will be from the old cock. After that they should mostly be from the new cock (though some may still be from the old one).

When breeding many of us put a cock in with the hen for 3 to 4 days and then take him out for the rest of the week. Then we place him back in again etc. etc. This keeps the cock active and productive.

Thnx. I'll keep that in mind. Reason is that I live in a very cold climate during the winter. Mid October to late April. We had snow during the month of April 2013. I don't use heat lamp for my coop so I just breed them during summer time. I am new to this oriental gamefowl and trying to collect info as much as possible. Inline-breeding/line-breeding is another thing I needed to find out how it works.

Each breeder is different, but those of us that have actually done it any length of time usually inbreed. However, you have to be working with good/great birds to start with before you start a inbreeding program; otherwise, you'll set traits you later wish you had not.

smile.png

Last edited:
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can get some SQ Shamo and Malay hatching eggs shipped to CA? I can't seem to find anyone...
Thanks,
David.

Most breeders of "SQ" ;) Shamo and Malay that are worth having are not going to sell eggs. Period. These fowl and their breeders are not like the typical birds and "breeders" you find on a site like this. You should be looking for young adult birds, a pair or a trio, not hatching eggs. Be prepared to put down some money. there are GREAT oriental breeders in CA, some of the best. Asking around for hatching eggs isnt going to get you anywhere, or get you good birds. Most of my birds are molting anyway and not laying, I'd imagine the same is true for many other people, wrong time of year for eggs in many cases. Paulo and Fowlman are both in CA and probably know CA contacts.

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can get some SQ Shamo and Malay hatching eggs shipped to CA? I can't seem to find anyone...
Thanks,
David.
Hi would possibly be willing to send you some Malay eggs from South Africa just because I believe in sharing this breed as well as all the breeds I own. its always a good feeling helping another fellow fowl lover out....not to sure if they will get to you...its no issue getting them past our lazy *** boarder..

Back
Top Bottom