Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

You say "a long way to go", what goals do have planned? Working on structure, temperament or?

Kad,

These are 3-4 month old O Shamo stags and pullets. This line of O Shamo, as with most big birds in the 10lb plus range, do not reach their full potential, in development and ability till 12-18 months.
In my mind, they have a long way to go. There is always some thing to work on with any breed or line of poultry. But with this line of Shamo from Mrs Suzann Chung, she has done a lot of the heavy lifting in the areas of structure, temperament and over all type. I have gleaned what I could from my conversations and visits with her, in her areas of expertise and then the areas of expertise of my friends in Japan.

Last edited:
Kad,

These are 3-4 month old O Shamo stags and pullets. This line of O Shamo, as with most big birds in the 10lb plus range, do not reach their full potential, in development and ability till 12-18 months.
In my mind, they have a long way to go. There is always some thing to work on with any breed or line of poultry. But with this line of Shamo from Mrs Suzann Chung, she has done a lot of the heavy lifting in the areas of structure, temperament and over all type. I have gleaned what I could from my conversations and visits with her, in her areas of expertise and then the areas of expertise of my friends in Japan.
I understand now, I thought you meant something else. Do you have any pic of this type mature?

I have sold or culled my Ganoi, some Thai, Indian Asil and other birds to focus on the 3 lines of Shamo I have. The ones below are my breeding out of Suzann Chungs line of O Shamo.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this is? It doesn't look like it was caused by a fight, it looks more like bad acne or an infection, You can see a small one that hasn't ruptured yet below the main outbreak .. .

I am posting this under the diseases and injuries category too but wanted to ask here too cause it is an Oriental Stag

Look like chicken pox

It's pox virus. Some of your birds will get and others will not. Try to isolate the infected birds. Add a table spoon of bleach per gallon of fresh water daily to prevent spread via water in all birds. Wild birds, yard birds your shoes, hands, etc. will spread the disease. Good bio security measures, or culling, may prevent the spread.

Usually, runs two weeks cycles. Once your birds get they will be immune from getting it again. It can not spread cross species, to you. If you are into Homeopathic remedies there are very effective ones out there that I have used with great results. We got it last year at the shop flock and did not lose a single bird using Homeopathic remedies.

Good luck.

Look like chicken pox

It's pox virus. Some of your birds will get and others will not. Try to isolate the infected birds. Add a table spoon of bleach per gallon of fresh water daily to prevent spread via water in all birds. Wild birds, yard birds your shoes, hands, etc. will spread the disease. Good bio security measures, or culling, may prevent the spread.

Usually, runs two weeks cycles. Once your birds get they will be immune from getting it again. It can not spread cross species, to you. If you are into Homeopathic remedies there are very effective ones out there that I have used with great results. We got it last year at the shop flock and did not lose a single bird using Homeopathic remedies.

Good luck.
Thank you both.
Bummer is I'm going through a huge move right now and have no where to isolate him at the moment and tomorrow I have to move all my fowl (chickens, ducks, geese).
I have not seen this before. Where did it come from? Researching said mosquito's can bring it in, is that most likely the cause?

Back
Top Bottom