Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Hey all, BYC newbie here. I live in Myanmar/Burma. I recently got a local breed hen and her brood for my kids. Cockfighting is a very popular sport here, and the local chickens are reared with that partly in mind. I had two males in the batch and had to seperate them at between three and four weeks old as they were beating the hell out of eachother. I'll post some photos of the two young lads when they're a bit more presentable.

Hey all, BYC newbie here. I live in Myanmar/Burma. I recently got a local breed hen and her brood for my kids. Cockfighting is a very popular sport here, and the local chickens are reared with that partly in mind. I had two males in the batch and had to seperate them at between three and four weeks old as they were beating the hell out of eachother. I'll post some photos of the two young lads when they're a bit more presentable.

Welcome to BYC! We'd love to see those photos once the boys are in better shape.

What's better incubating or hen hatching? I have a trio of bacon warhorse they won't be ready until a couple months from now but I would like to know what's better. My stag is 5 months and my pullets 4 I won't put them together on the same pen until my pullets are 8 (I think that's a good age)

What's better incubating or hen hatching? I have a trio of bacon warhorse they won't be ready until a couple months from now but I would like to know what's better. My stag is 5 months and my pullets 4 I won't put them together on the same pen until my pullets are 8 (I think that's a good age)
Hen hatched is better in my opinion, but usually in a free range setting. Mama hens confined to pen is ok but better if she is alone or with cock only. Having other hens with her (especially other mamas) is a recipe for dead chicks.

I've incubated tons of chicks and they do well if you take care of them like your own children. Its time consuming and they dont free range as well once ready to do so (as they havent learned from mama to look out for predators, forage for food, etc).

I wouldnt wait so long to introduce stag to pullets... dont be afraid to try one or two and see how they react. Be ready to pull out any pullets if they are getting beat up. And if she doesnt work try a different pullet until you find a good balance and establish pecking order. More room and perches the better chances of good introduction. Also try putting stag into the pullets pen, sometimes stags get really territorial in their own coop and more likely to attack newcomer.

Back
Top Bottom