Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

OK, heres the deal.
I have 3 what seem to be BR Shamo stags, I bought hatching eggs last year on e-bay, and they were sold to me as Thai gamefowl.
However, they are dead on to the pictures and descriptions for Shamo in the APA standard, and I showed a pullet at NEPC, and she got 2nd place (no DQ, which is what I was expecting)
I happen to love these boys, but I really need to get rid of at least one.
They are getting too aggressive to my flock of wimpy chickens, and I have seen them get switched on to the kill mode. This is not something I can deal with right now.
What is strange to me, is after I pulled Dragon, the alpha roo, off of the bloodied mess he made, he was not aggressive to me, it was like he was just doing his job, and I just interrupted him like he was reading a magazine. Very impressive, but I am not prepared for this.
I will most likely be entering them at Delmarva, with the intent of selling at least one or two.
I will get pics to follow up, I know you, or anyone, would like to see them.
The largest one is now 24" tall, and 7 lbs, at 10 months old.
I would rather have someone on BYC give them a good home.
Roberta

OK, heres the deal.
I have 3 what seem to be BR Shamo stags, I bought hatching eggs last year on e-bay, and they were sold to me as Thai gamefowl.
However, they are dead on to the pictures and descriptions for Shamo in the APA standard, and I showed a pullet at NEPC, and she got 2nd place (no DQ, which is what I was expecting)
I happen to love these boys, but I really need to get rid of at least one.
They are getting too aggressive to my flock of wimpy chickens, and I have seen them get switched on to the kill mode. This is not something I can deal with right now.
What is strange to me, is after I pulled Dragon, the alpha roo, off of the bloodied mess he made, he was not aggressive to me, it was like he was just doing his job, and I just interrupted him like he was reading a magazine. Very impressive, but I am not prepared for this.
I will most likely be entering them at Delmarva, with the intent of selling at least one or two.
I will get pics to follow up, I know you, or anyone, would like to see them.
The largest one is now 24" tall, and 7 lbs, at 10 months old.
I would rather have someone on BYC give them a good home.
Roberta

Mine is the same way. I had to pull my shamo off an american game and he was just fine acting...in my arms with his legs dangling....only sign was breathing heavy. I ordered a tether for him today.

I don't think the tether is going to solve my problem.
Too many stoopid roos to aggravate him.
He needs to go where he will be appreciated.

Right now, I have the stags outside of the run, in the yard.
It works until I let them back in for the night.
Then, look out ladies
ep.gif

The poor girls with combs are really getting a beating, too,
They like to grab ahold of those.....

My Shamo Stag will try to fight my Orpington Breeding Roosters through hardware cloth. I had to stop letting that Orp Breeding pen out to free range because he was really irritating my Shamo stag. He is really friendly towards me and is very docile. My hens are still a young but not really flighty but lay pretty good hen they don't try to sit on eggs! Are O Shamos good mothers? What about KO Shamo? Are they good mothers?

Nate

My Shamo Stag will try to fight my Orpington Breeding Roosters through hardware cloth. I had to stop letting that Orp Breeding pen out to free range because he was really irritating my Shamo stag. He is really friendly towards me and is very docile. My hens are still a young but not really flighty but lay pretty good hen they don't try to sit on eggs! Are O Shamos good mothers? What about KO Shamo? Are they good mothers?

Nate

Thankfully my other roosters haven'f figured out there is a back yard so they stay away from the shamo pen. I had an o shamo hen go broody and finally gave in and gave her some madagascar eggs to hatch. She hatched two and is a very good mom. I was afraid she would kill them with her big dang feet but so far so seems careful.
sharon

I'm reading a lot of stuff in the last few pages that gives me great concern. You folks do understand that the birds you are writing about are gamefowl, don't you? They don't play well with others, period. Because they are orientals, they are easy to handle, but they cannot associate with othe males. If you want to keep your regular barnyard breeds running loose in your yard, ya gotta pen up your oriental stags. If you have more than one oriental stag. you hafta pen up all except one and maybe even all of them. If you don't have enough facilities for all of them, build them. They will NEVER get along with other males, NEVER. If you can't deal with it, you should rethink your desire to keep them. They surely are magnificent creatures, but the liability rivals owning a pit bull. Every stag, every cock, needs his own pen and usually every hen/pullet needs her own pen unless penned with a cock. I still have a lot to learn, even after 54 years, but I'm reading about a ton of novice mistakes. Please think before you purchase or obtain any of these fine game breeds.........Pop

x2 to that.

Even when I had my last stag running loose around the yard, his "gameiness" led him to fight any rooster he could find through a fence, one who got severely injured. Not by him, but by fighting through the fence. All the ramming and pecking and kicking got his face very beat up and his toes pretty bloody.

So, my Shamos are completely separate and penned now. There's a single fence that separates my current stag from rather "gamey" Araucanas but he's very young right now and I'm working on a second fence to widen the boundary between the two in the mean time.

Shamo, Thai, whatever - They are indeed bred for one thing and one thing only. Which means that after all the hundreds of years, that's really all they will think about most of the time.

Answering the Shamo mothering - Only have experience so far with one gal, and honestly, she had to learn first. She somehow let a cat sneak by and steal several chicks before finally defending the remaining ones quite strongly.

Now, I've got a neighbor though with some Thais - Feisty mothers!!! Very smart and fast learners too. But I'll be honest I'm only assuming they are thai based on their appearance and where they came from however there's a chance they could be Ga Noi too. All I know is, the guy complains that even the hens at a very very young age will fight each other to the death. I don't know Thai temperament very well but I do know Ga Nois do that. The guy has no clue really, he just raises them as backyard chickens. When I saw them I figured they have to be Thais or something, he told me they came from a friend who brought them from Vietnam. (parent stock) The current ones I was looking at were an old F1 cock and several second, third, and fourth gen birds some who were crossed with something else.

Last edited:
x2 to that.

Even when I had my last stag running loose around the yard, his "gameiness" led him to fight any rooster he could find through a fence, one who got severely injured. Not by him, but by fighting through the fence. All the ramming and pecking and kicking got his face very beat up and his toes pretty bloody.

So, my Shamos are completely separate and penned now. There's a single fence that separates my current stag from rather "gamey" Araucanas but he's very young right now and I'm working on a second fence to widen the boundary between the two in the mean time.

Shamo, Thai, whatever - They are indeed bred for one thing and one thing only. Which means that after all the hundreds of years, that's really all they will think about most of the time.

Answering the Shamo mothering - Only have experience so far with one gal, and honestly, she had to learn first. She somehow let a cat sneak by and steal several chicks before finally defending the remaining ones quite strongly.

Now, I've got a neighbor though with some Thais - Feisty mothers!!! Very smart and fast learners too. But I'll be honest I'm only assuming they are thai based on their appearance and where they came from however there's a chance they could be Ga Noi too. All I know is, the guy complains that even the hens at a very very young age will fight each other to the death. I don't know Thai temperament very well but I do know Ga Nois do that. The guy has no clue really, he just raises them as backyard chickens. When I saw them I figured they have to be Thais or something, he told me they came from a friend who brought them from Vietnam. (parent stock) The current ones I was looking at were an old F1 cock and several second, third, and fourth gen birds some who were crossed with something else.

As soon as mine "turned on" I quit letting him run loose but I was well prepared for that day and he is penned where he is the only rooster and the fence area around him is 8 foot high with sight barriers to the outside of the fence. I researched and asked a lot of questions before getting mine so I knew what to expect. To me it is worth the extra effort but I don't plan on having a lot of them because I still like to see my others free range.

Drat....meant to quote Pop's!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom