Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Which would be better to feed to my Shamo? 15% Later Pellets or 18% Layer Pellets? They have been eating the 18% fine so far. Would 15% be enough protein for them?

Nate

My orientals do well around 15%, as an all around feed for the off-season. They tend to develope leg issues when fed higher protein while they are still maturing.

Everyone has a different opinion on protein ratios and amount of feed. My advice is to feed them, keep an eye on them (pick them up and feel of them, ensure they are not getting fat, etc...), and make changes as necessary. What works for you may not work for the next person.

My orientals do well around 15%, as an all around feed for the off-season. They tend to develope leg issues when fed higher protein while they are still maturing.

Everyone has a different opinion on protein ratios and amount of feed. My advice is to feed them, keep an eye on them (pick them up and feel of them, ensure they are not getting fat, etc...), and make changes as necessary. What works for you may not work for the next person.

Yep, high protein makes the chicken grown faster but lacks strenght in there legs.

I feed chick starter (20%) until they feather out good, then start cutting back on the protein. Just have to make sure they have plenty of room to grow comfortably or they may start eating each other.

PS: this is for my larger orientals. I don't have experience with Ko Shamo.

Last edited:
I going to let my Asil trio out for a little sunshine and green grass today. They had their first bit of freedom last night. I'll try and get some pics. Gotta love 70 in March in Ohio.

ETA: Got the pics

My other pullet got a little freaked by one of the dogs and got a camera shy on me. At least she's hiding by the pen. Enjoy this weather. Blaine

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom