Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I feed my KO a 16% (pigeon feed and show pellets) mix through out the year. Then up the protien during molt.

I dont recommend the grains unless you feed grit or your birds get outdoors, to pick up stones, a few times a week.

Perhaps we can swap eggs down the road (your black for my pumkin)?
wink.png

Which would be better to feed to my Shamo? 15% Later Pellets or 18% Layer Pellets? They have been eating the 18% fine so far. Would 15% be enough protein for them?

Nate

I feed my KO a 16% (pigeon feed and show pellets) mix through out the year. Then up the protien during molt.

I dont recommend the grains unless you feed grit or your birds get outdoors, to pick up stones, a few times a week.

Perhaps we can swap eggs down the road (your black for my pumkin)?
wink.png

I recently lost a Black KO hen to the Rooster fighting with her last week. I don.t know why he was all of a sudden aggressive but I haven't got an egg from that pen since that day. I was getting 1-2 eggs a day but now 0? My Wheatons lay 1-2 eggs daily so far. Trading might be a possibility. Right now I have plenty of birds on the farm. We have right around 160-175 with the RSL we are raising for Eating Eggs. My wife works 40-45 hours a week as a nurse and I work 50-60 With my Landscape Company. We stay pretty busy each day with our 14 month old son running around helping gather eggs in the evenings! I wouldn't trade it for the world! I work all summer and spend winter building pens/ fixing things on our farm and spending time with my family! What color KO's do you have?

Nate

Nate,

Your life sounds like it mirrors ours! Except that you have way more birds than we do but perhaps we even out because since we have a 19mnth son and 3 yr old daughter
wink.png

Currently, I have Wheaten and Ginger. I hope to have Blue Wheatens arriving in June. There are other colors being sold but most are not pure.

Sorry to hear about your hen! I are you sure it was the Cock that killed her? In my experience, the Ko the hens are more aggressive towards each other than the Cocks are towards them. 95% of the hens I have treated have been from "hen fighting". Daughters turning on their mothers. Most of the time, they seem to work it out but others the damage can be really bad.

I recently lost a Black KO hen to the Rooster fighting with her last week. I don.t know why he was all of a sudden aggressive but I haven't got an egg from that pen since that day. I was getting 1-2 eggs a day but now 0? My Wheatons lay 1-2 eggs daily so far. Trading might be a possibility. Right now I have plenty of birds on the farm. We have right around 160-175 with the RSL we are raising for Eating Eggs. My wife works 40-45 hours a week as a nurse and I work 50-60 With my Landscape Company. We stay pretty busy each day with our 14 month old son running around helping gather eggs in the evenings! I wouldn't trade it for the world! I work all summer and spend winter building pens/ fixing things on our farm and spending time with my family! What color KO's do you have?

Nate

Wow, long time no visit here.

Well, congrats to the wins, very nice Asils, and very nice Asil cross as usual!
smile.png

A while ago my new Shamo pullets started actually laying, so, I got right to (even though they were pullet eggs) incubating some for myself, and just today I got my first few chicks. They're a nice rich yellow and reddish color, meaning my cuckoo colored stag is carrying a recessive Wheaten gene. I'm very excited. Still expecting more eggs to hatch this Easter too, but in the mean time I'm offering some to auction too.

In the mean time I named my new stag "Mad Max," it was kind of suggested to me and seemed to fit. I haven't given him a proper weight yet but I'm easily estimating it is over 8 lbs right now. He's still young but is growing nicely, and stands at least 25 inches tall. We've gotten very used to each other now and finally, the pullets aren't so skittish. I can pick them up, push them around, and approach and handle them without any hassle. Finally got them a new coop now too, one that I can trust a predator to never get into.

Well, congrats to the wins, very nice Asils, and very nice Asil cross as usual! :)

A while ago my new Shamo pullets started actually laying, so, I got right to (even though they were pullet eggs) incubating some for myself, and just today I got my first few chicks. They're a nice rich yellow and reddish color, meaning my cuckoo colored stag is carrying a recessive Wheaten gene. I'm very excited. Still expecting more eggs to hatch this Easter too, but in the mean time I'm offering some to auction too.

In the mean time I named my new stag "Mad Max," it was kind of suggested to me and seemed to fit. I haven't given him a proper weight yet but I'm easily estimating it is over 8 lbs right now. He's still young but is growing nicely, and stands at least 25 inches tall. We've gotten very used to each other now and finally, the pullets aren't so skittish. I can pick them up, push them around, and approach and handle them without any hassle. Finally got them a new coop now too, one that I can trust a predator to never get into.

Congratulations Illia! I like that name too. Post pics of the chicks when you can.

Hey Illia, sounds good did you hatch under broody or bator? That line of shamo has yielded a full spectrum of colors maybe now you could shed some light on in for me. I must admit I have never made a game fowl pairing with any consideration as to color. Glad to hear the fowl has settled down and is doing well, keep up the good work.

Well, congrats to the wins, very nice Asils, and very nice Asil cross as usual!
smile.png

Incubator. I'm aiming to get one of the girls brooding eventually but only the crele colored girl has been laying lately, so, I'm waiting til I have both girls laying, then I'll let one set a good bundle of eggs.

Color isn't all that important to me but I do and mostly my family does prefer Wheaten-based colors over standard Cuckoo/Dom color. I figured the stag you got me was either pure dom or had a recessive Wheaten gene, as his father appears to have a recessive gene, so the stag had a 50/50 chance. But yes, looks like I'm going to get a pretty good array considering one of the pullets looks a lot like a crele, the other like a seriously melanized wheaten with perhaps even the columbian gene but doubt it. . . She's just so blackened though, it's beautiful and fascinating. Either way they'll all end up barred, as the stag is, and I'm sure he's homozygous barred, so it will pass on to them all.

But again, colors not important, just something I like to keep track of just to see who's got what genes.

Pics will be up probably tonight. Got two blondies and three more due to hatch in a few days.

Sorry he blinked… he didn't want to stand still.

Does he look good at all? Can anyone tell what type oriental he is? I got his egg from a guy with Shamo and a few other oriental game birds he didn't tell me whose egg it was. He's still a chick, hatched Jan 3rd. There's some bareness on his wings because another bird ate his feathers when he was a younger chick. He should look better after he molts, he is mottled though barely. He's huge already @_@ Sorry if I'm randomly posting here ^^;

Last edited:
The only bare spot I see on his wings is a perfectly normal area. I too when I first got Shamos thought it was because he was beat up as a chick, but it's actually a normal sign of a well developed, hard feathered bird.

He looks part Thai to me but it is hard to say. His rather long and upright tail seem to say so, but, who knows. He is definitely Oriental Game though.
smile.png

Here's my first two Shamos. Still got a few more due to hatch soon, they're peeping in the egg right now.

This was him as a chick. And thank you for the input!! He probably is mixed, I know my friend had several different Oriental game breeds. I also got my OEGB mixed bird (egg at the time) from him.

Your chicks are so cute… they'll be white right? Gorgeous.

This is my female one. How about her?

She's the chick in the right corner with the spots on her nostrils.

Back
Top Bottom