Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

No, they'll (my chicks) be Wheaten based colors with barring. Basically Crele to the eye. White Shamos are pretty rare, actually. At least, from what I've known.

Again, I think they're probably mixes, (yours) hard to tell for me. They're nice though.

Ah, my mistake. I bet they will be beautiful and impressive too. (I have only seen a few pictures of the white variety floating around the internet )

My birds probably are. Thank you and thanks for your input, ^ ¬ ^

Last edited:
Yep. The white color is from the fact that whether your Shamo be dark, wheaten, BBR, whatever - It's Wheaten based, and Wheatens are white or yellow ( mine are yellow, true whites are white ) when born.

hey guys... so i have a question about oriental gamefowl as i am new to raising them. So roughly how cold can they tolerate? It seems like when it gets cold around where i live at night (30-40's), they seem to look like they're about ready to die so i'm thinking about buying a heat lamp for them for the night time. The usual spring temperature is around 50's right now and i let them out sometimes when it's sunny out for a few hours. Any advice would be awesome, thanks.

L

Sounds like here.

Our winter temps are normally 30-45 degrees, but it can drop down to the 20's on really cold occasions. My Shamos handle the cold very well, as long as they're not new. If they're newly shipped (always from a warmer place) then I supply them with a heat lamp in their coop. But if they're not new, and adapted to the area, they can handle it pretty well. Snow, frost, hail, and of course, lots and lots and lots of rain. As long as their coop is warmer and drier than outside they should be fine.

Spring and summer gets to temps of 40-75 degrees, which they learn to like. Although Oriental Gamefowl normally prefer it warmer, they really do learn to love whatever sun they can get. If you have a less hardy breed such as Madagascar Games, Ga Noi, or some types of Asil - I'd suggest a place not too windy or plastic sheeting on the fence to prevent wind, drafts.

Before I got used to my Shamos I'd always ask people on their cold hardiness and most say they handle it just fine, but the thing is, those people live where summers are sunny and hot. Here, the birds have to wait and in the mean time, enjoy what they get.

ah thnx for the reply illia, yea i figured maybe they would adapt sometime, but i might have to wait for them to get used to it, but with that reply i feel a little better. I'll get the lamp anyway for cold nights for now until they get used to it. thanks again for the reply!

L

Back
Top Bottom