Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

this is an interesting thread. i haven't read it all, but i like what i have read.

i got back into raising gamefowl last year, but this time i decided to raise oriental gamefowl. spent to much money buying birds i didn't like, but finally found some ganoi that i like. i was hoping someone could tell me where to get some good ko shamo. so i don't have to go through so many birds to find some nice ones.

Nice Ganoi!!

Pride&joy, it's mainly the body I'm loving with the Doms. Mine are doing quite fine. The stag went through a weak/sick spell for a couple days a week ago but is fine now. I haven't had any eggs for weeks though, gonna see what I can do about that. Otherwise they've been great. They're super calm and friendly around me now, especially when it comes to food they're a little too stubborn, but with the rest of my family of whom they practically never see, the few times they do, they freak! They're extremely flighty around strangers, which, I personally like, it's a good instinctual thing incase the next stranger is a predator, but, I don't know if the family likes it so much.

Had some pullets from them growing up nicely, some pretty Wheatens, but sadly just a few days ago they disappeared. I have no clue what happened, but, out of the blue one morning they were just simply gone. I've been raising them securely in a brooder in a coop, opened the door one morning, and they weren't there. No bodies, no nothing. It's depressing honestly. Gonna have to start over before it gets too late in the year.

Well there's the problem then. I wanted to just put him out occasionally in the yard tethered but the rest of the time he is in an enclosed area free to roam. I want the best of both worlds of course. I guess I could put the leg part on without the cord and let him get used to that first.
he should get use to the tether with no problems, I would be more concerned with predators or loose fowl while on the tether. I use my tethers on rotation some time on the cord some time in a round pen. The cord is good to let them scratch on green grass keeps them happy.you know how it goes supervision at first to make sure there are no trouble.

Nice fowl everyone! I bought 4 brazilians from gotgame earlier this year and I am getting a trio of O Shamo from pride&joy :D I know alot of you are on ultimate fowl I registered about a week ago and still I havnt got the amail saying I can sign in :(

Rohr's Gamefowl
I would say you are on the right track, most of the folks on UFF are also on here. I bet they will get you squared away soon.

he should get use to the tether with no problems, I would be more concerned with predators or loose fowl while on the tether. I use my tethers on rotation some time on the cord some time in a round pen. The cord is good to let them scratch on green grass keeps them happy.you know how it goes supervision at first to make sure there are no trouble.

It would always be under supervision...you know I don't have a back up and it's 12 plus hours to your house from mine! LOL

Orientals mature slowly. At a year, he's only half way there, even though he probably is fertile. After he matures he should be much better in his bedside maners and treat the ladies with respect and thereby score on a regular basis. This is not unusual for any breed of oriental, but the more exotic, the harder they are to breed. Patience is the key. He probably should be a loner til he matures. I know you have experience with orientals, but Malgache are a little more extreme, if they are close to purebred, which may be a stretch in the US.........Pop
Thanks for the advice, Pop. I've got him in his own pen since he's almost completely given up on the hens now. He only makes a motion towards them. He's very gentle around the broodys and chicks, which is a good sign, even though it's not unusual for orientals. He's the only male Malgache I have so patience isn't an easy virtue for me right now.

Gotcha! He does look Asil. Looks like he might have some thing else going only because of the short wattles.
I take nothing away from your bird as he is still nice looking and is still growing out.

This is a somewhat touchy subject but pure Asil, for the most part, dont have wattles.

I hope he grows out to be a beast for you buddy!

Thank you.I'm gonna try to breed them toward small wattles
IMG055.jpg
hope it doesn't take that long to get to that point

Here are my new O-Shamo from pride&joy, they are an amazing trio of O-Shamo

barred pullet >

black pullet>

this white stag is bigger than I thought he would be! but that is what I wanted >
THANKS

Rohr's Gamefowl

Last edited:
Here is my ganoi. Very calm guy. However, he is getting a little annoying with the constant crowing.

Ga tre. They are more energetic kind of like toy dogs.

Back
Top Bottom