What did you make from your garden today?

Delphinium, Peony, Cornflower, and Snapdragon
8268_0.jpg

Delphinium, Rose, Snapdragon, Ivy, and Weeds

This one is made with some 'weeds' and 'leftover' flowers, including side shoots, short or deformed stems. However, the size doesn't matter, at least not that much in terms of arranging bouquets - it's a universe in whatever container. For me, this one is a much more complete piece.

8266_0.jpg

Just like cooking or many other aspects of our lives, following what is defined by anyone else only makes sense when we want to. Having luxurious or rare plants to work with is of course, great; but countless 'weeds' offer generously very rich choices of foliage, flowers, and even fruits. The small bouquet makes me unexpectedly contented.

Tonight was pesto veggie pizza... crust made via king arthur website. It was tasty with all the peppers, onions, and basil from my garden

Would've been Margherita pizza but oye my tomatoes are grumpy!
I also made bluberry galette via smitten kitchen (https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/07/blackberry-cheesecake-galette/)
Deb(smitten kitchen) has epic summer veggie recipes.

Nothing I actually "made", but an interesting harvest. My first Yamato Silver watermelon. A good sized melon at just over 10 lbs, not only is the appearance of the flesh unusual but the flavor is also very different. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read some others describing it as being like Asian pear with hints of citrus. That's at least as good as any description I could come up with, so that's what I'm going with. I still think I like the Leelanau Sweetglo just a little bit better, but both are more interesting than conventional red-fleshed watermelons and I'll definitely be growing both again next year.
20220723_203436.jpg

I overlooked this cucumber, how, I don’t know, and it grew into a monster...
0A1F1EF9-7910-40AF-BF4A-1A636F3F70BB.jpeg
It weighed 3 1/2 lbs! I cut it open and was surprised it was, amazingly, still edible....it wasn’t that bad. We ate part of it tonight in a cucumber tomato salad with some of our tomatoes.
7BE5DBDD-CF66-4A17-B749-446F1D1EC35F.jpeg
The variety is called Sweet Success. I am going to be more vigilant in searching for cukes from now on.

We had tacos for dinner with cherry tomatoes from the garden. Why cherry tomatoes? Well, I spent the rest of the day getting ready to can bunches of SALSA tomorrow and I used up all of the tomatoes. Yay! So hubby wanted tacos. 18 Pounds peeled, seeded and chopped in the fridge, and I still had to go to the garden in search of tomatoes! LOL

Seeded and chopped 6 pounds of poblano peppers, 3 pounds of jalapenos, 5 pounds of onions. My hands are burning (I wore rubber gloves, but still...), my back and feet hurt, but I'm ready to process in the morning! I use the Zesty Salsa recipe from the Ball Blue Book: https://www.ballmasonjars.com/blog?cid=zesty-salsa - except that I use poblano peppers instead of bell peppers (from an older version of this recipe).

Besides that, I have 15 pounds of cucumbers and 25 pounds of beets that a neighbor dropped off today. Surplus from his garden. Cukes will be dill pickle spears as soon as I can get to them, and the beets are soaking overnight to be cleaned and processed tomorrow after the salsa is done.

Whew.

Back
Top Bottom