What did you make from your garden today?

Pics
I tried some (raw, on the spot) that my neighbor gave me, and didn't care for it. I think I'll buy some and try it various ways. It is so pretty!
I think chard is so beautiful and it does well in my garden and my mother liked it. However, As much as I like many types of greens, I don't care for Swiss chard much. My friends did not like it much and
no one would buy it either!, so I stopped growing it. Not that it was bad, just did not taste as good to me as many other greens I do like. Everybody is different a bit! I hope you like it! It grows easily and is attractive and good nutrition.

I harvested 5 turnips and had them as part of Christmas dinner. They were delicious, mild and tender:
.trashed-1706138726-IMG_20231225_172649066.jpg

They're at the top, next to the roll ⬆️

I made a couple pumpkin pies from my Seminole pumpkins. So easy and so good! I just cut them in half and bake cut side down in a pan with an half inch of water at 400 F until tender, cool and the skin separates easily from the flesh. Works with all small pumpkins and winter squash up to about 8 or 9 lbs. in my baking pan. The homemade crust takes more labor than preparing the pumpkin and mixing up the pie filling, so use a store bought crust to save time and work. We ate lettuces, cabbages, onions, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, beets and mixed greens from our garden over Christmas, not to mention much about the homemade pickles, relishes and other canned and dehydrated foods we eat regularly from the garden. It is a lot of work but the eating is so good and we have patrons that subsidize our gardens and chickens efforts. Giving away great food is also very rewarding to us as well as those who receive it! Several families were eating from our efforts this season great salads, greens, turnips, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, shitake mushrooms and more, plus fresh eggs! I gave gifts from the homestead instead of from the stores. I don't have much money but I am very wealthy in life, until age slips it away. Happy New Year!

Giving away great food is also very rewarding to us as well as those who receive it! Several families were eating from our efforts this season great salads, greens, turnips, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, shitake mushrooms and more, plus fresh eggs! I gave gifts from the homestead instead of from the stores. I don't have much money but I am very wealthy in life, until age slips it away. Happy New Year!
Those ARE the best gifts! I give home made nut butter (ok, store bought nuts), dehydrated apples (apples from the farmstand), and as a cave to the sweet lover in my and my friends, home made caramel sauce.

Someone(s) will probably get a dozen eggs too.

I really hope we get enough cherries from our trees next year to give away dried cherries or cherry butter.

Those ARE the best gifts! I give home made nut butter (ok, store bought nuts), dehydrated apples (apples from the farmstand), and as a cave to the sweet lover in my and my friends, home made caramel sauce.

Someone(s) will probably get a dozen eggs too.

I really hope we get enough cherries from our trees next year to give away dried cherries or cherry butter.
.I would feel very fortunate to be on your friend gift list! I agree! The best gifts come from your own hands or invention! A kiss from a happy baby on the cheek, a bag of pecans gathered with your hands , a homemade anything! The best gifts are works and deeds that required some sacrifice or love to acquire and to pass on. Easy come easy go. No sweat produces little value. A happy smile from my great grandson is a gift without match as is a thimble full of seeds from a neighbor that though of me. A pie from anybody is also appreciated! Whenever I feel myself trying to horde something I like, I know that is what I should give away to people I love.

Always love @Phaedra Geiermann bouquets! 😍

I got a hankering for some veggie chips this evening so I sliced up a fresh zucchini and yellow squash, sprinkled with pepper & garlic salt, topped with fresh parmesan, and baked/broiled to crispness. Haven't actually tried them yet but they smell good! 😂

Edited to add a picture. They are pretty good! A little salty. Need to use less garlic salt next time.
View attachment 3542253
Looks so good. I wish I had some more squash growing.

Back
Top Bottom