Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Walt~

LOL....I think someone once stated about great poultry breeders, "it is usually the HUMBLEST breeders that have the BEST, and the loudest have REST ". A few great breeders come to mind: Suzann, Nick, Bob, Julia, and I am sure there are others I have missed.

Anyways, MOUA had a very excellent collection of fowl. Here is another link to their Ko section for newbies to see excellent examples of both lines. Both obtained from the same source.
http://www.freewebs.com/ogichida/koshamo.htm

Last edited:
Walt~

LOL....I think someone once stated about great poultry breeders, "it is usually the HUMBLEST breeders that have the BEST, and the loudest have REST ". A few folks come to mind: Suzann, Nick, Bob, Julia, and I am sure there are others I have missed.

Anyways, MOUA had a very excellent collection of fowl. Here is another link to their Ko section for newbies to see excellent examples of both lines. Both obtained from the same source.
http://www.freewebs.com/ogichida/koshamo.htm

Suzann will tell you the actual history of her Ko's tomorrow when you visit. Some of the hearsay posted by Gems is not even close to being correct. Her original birds were from Brantley, but she moved on about 3-4 years ago to better birds.
BTW: the Carls birds did not breed true to Wheaten when she had them. She sent her Brantley birds to Duane in GA and Ronnie several years ago.

Each prefecture in Japan has a different Standard for Ko's with the longer the neck the better, but most of it is based on 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 and body type does not seem to be a concern as long as it meets the 1/3 standard. The Japanese are flexible in their description of the Ko's and allow the breeder artistic license.

For the last several years Suzann's birds are breedings from Stumme and Steve Hewett of Wales. ..oh forgot, there are not good birds in the UK or Germany cuz they screwed them all up according to our Ko expert....who has neglected to tell us how he is an expert other than he has the special book from Japan that no one else has........2 copies.

Walt

7D988F83-B758-4ACD-BA78-33F0E84FB0B4-3704-000004A67073253E.jpg

Suzann will tell you the actual history of her Ko's tomorrow when you visit. Some of the hearsay posted by Gems is not even close to being correct. Her original birds were from Brantley, but she moved on about 3-4 years ago to better birds.
BTW: the Carls birds did not breed true to Wheaten when she had them. She sent her Brantley birds to Duane in GA and Ronnie several years ago.

Each prefecture in Japan has a different Standard for Ko's with the longer the neck the better, but most of it is based on 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 and body type does not seem to be a concern as long as it meets the 1/3 standard. The Japanese are flexible in their description of the Ko's and allow the breeder artistic license.

For the last several years Suzann's birds are breedings from Stumme and Steve Hewett of Wales. ..oh forgot, there are not good birds in the UK or Germany  cuz they screwed them all up according to our Ko expert....who has neglected to tell us how he is an expert other than he has the special book from Japan that no one else has........2 copies.

Walt

Walt,

I couldnt agree more. Hearsay and assuming are both bad foundations to creating hypothesis. I consider myself a student, and probably will for a very long time, of raising Orientals, as I feel it keeps me open minded.

As, you know, I have spoken many times with Suzann about Ko, the Ko she has had, and her current stock of other Orientals. I truly enjoy her time and knowledge and feel blessed to feel welcome to her yard. I will add, and as it was told to me by Will, that from Ronnie is we're he acquired his stock then added some of Suzann's line to add vigor.

As you stated, their are variations to the KO in Japan. With the longer more erect Ko's being prefer, as they are more difficult to find even in Japan today, all else being equal.

She looks nice...she has the prawn shape type of tails I like. Fom the photo is hard to make much else out pertaining to her station, proportions and eye color. A close up of her head might be easier for me to make out eye color but it looks ok. You can shoot me a email if you prefer. As a suggestion, keep those chicks with the best vertical/ upright stations and clearest eyes.

Good luck with them!

Last edited:
I have a question ? The hen I posted seems to have a shrimp tail. I had a look at the link to the MOUA birds. The first type seem to be what I have, sort of short and chunky. The second type, the taller leaner type, seems to me to have a different type of tail than what my birds do. Are both tail types equally acceptable, or not?

I have a question ? The hen I posted seems to have a shrimp tail. I had a look at the link to the MOUA birds. The first type seem to be what I have, sort of short and chunky. The second type, the taller leaner type, seems to me to have a different type of tail than what my birds do. Are both tail types equally acceptable, or not?

Gallo,

To help differentiate, your pair is more reminiscent of the Brantley's line (shorter). The tail is the same, its a prawn tail. Longer birds have a slightly longer tail, shorter birds shorter tail goes with size of the bird. The prawn tail, as was shown to me, is short, has outside feathers that curve up and the main tail feathers curve down. In both standards, two type of tails are excepted: the prawn, and tube shape.

Back
Top Bottom